AlBaqir Academy employees, including contractors, students, and volunteers providing services on behalf of AlBaqir Academy;
Any personal Information that identifies an individual, in whatever form or medium (paper, digital, audio-visual, graphic) created or received in the course of carrying out AlBaqir Academy's mandated functions and activities, and;
All facilities and equipment required to collect, manipulate, transport, transmit, or keep AlBaqir Academy information.
1.2 Legislative Requirements
The Personal Information Protection Act (PIPA) ("the Act") protects the personal information of the public and employees of private sector organizations operating in Alberta. It governs the collection, use and disclosure of personal information by organizations in a manner that recognizes and balances the right of an individual to have his or her personal information protected, and the need of an organization to collect, use or disclose personal information for purposes that are reasonable.
AlBaqir Academy is bound by the requirements of this Act and collects, uses or discloses personal information in accordance with its provisions.
1.3 Privacy Principles
AlBaqir Academy is committed to protecting the privacy of individual employees, students and guardians. To that end, AlBaqir Academy has implemented a privacy program to meet the following privacy goals:
AlBaqir Academy is responsible for protecting the confidentiality of personal information in its custody or under its control in compliance with the applicable federal or provincial legislation.
AlBaqir Academy has identified and designated the principal to be responsible for implementing the privacy program and ensuring compliance with legislation.
AlBaqir Academy develops and follows privacy and security policies and practices that are compliant with legislation. Such policies and practices are publicly available.
Collection and Consent
AlBaqir Academy collects personal information only for reasonable business purposes and with the consent of the individual or authorized representative, except where otherwise authorized by legislation.
AlBaqir Academy identifies the purposes for which personal information is collected.
Limited Use, Disclosure and Retention
AlBaqir Academy uses, discloses and retains personal information for purposes consistent with the purpose for which it was collected. Use and disclosure for other purposes is by consent of the individual or as authorized by legislation.
AlBaqir Academy makes all reasonable efforts to ensure that personal information collected, used or disclosed by or on behalf of AlBaqir Academy is accurate and complete.
AlBaqir Academy protects personal information in its custody or control by deploying security measures and practices to prevent unauthorized access, collection, use, disclosure, copying, modification, disposal or destruction.
Right of Access
Individuals have a right to access information about them at AlBaqir Academy subject only to limited and specific exceptions. Individuals who believe there is an error or omission in their personal information have a right to request correction or amendment of the information.
Individuals are encouraged to bring any concerns or issues regarding privacy at AlBaqir Academy to the Principal for discussion and response.
A guardian of a minor under 18 years of age, so long as the minor is not able to understand the nature and consequences of exercising consent;
An executor or administrator of the estate of an individual who is deceased, for purposes of administering the estate;
A guardian or trustee of a dependent adult, according to appointment under law:
An individual who is acting under specific provisions of a power of attorney:
An agent under a personal directive, in accordance with the directive:
An individual acting with the written authorization of an individual.
To gather, acquire or obtain personal information from any source, including third parties.
A voluntary agreement that allows the collection, use and disclosure of personal information by AlBaqir Academy for a defined purpose. Consent may be explicit, implied or opt-out and may be revoked at any time.
Giving access to or making the personal information in the school's custody available by other means, to a third party such as another person, organization or a contractor.
An individual employed by AlBaqir Academy. Under the Act, an individual who is an apprentice, volunteer, participant, student or who is under a contract or agency relationship is also considered an "employee."
A description of the collection, use or disclosure personal or personal employee information by AlBaqir Academy, including a listing of the personal information, who will be given access, and for what purpose.
Personal Employee Information:
Personal information collected, used, or disclosed solely for the purposes of establishing,
managing or terminating an employment or volunteer relationship.
Information about an identifiable individual, including factual information and opinions expressed about and by the individual, including, but not limited to:
Name, address, age, gender
ID numbers, place of birth
Opinions and evaluations of or about an individual
Religious, political or civil affiliations, where applicable
Organization or person other than the students, parents, employees and officials in AlBaqir Academy involved in the transaction.
Use of information by AlBaqir Academy employees for an identified business purpose that is authorized by policy or law.
3.0 COLLECTION, USE AND DISCLOSURE
OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
3.1 Collection of Personal Information
1. The least amount of information is collected, with the highest degree of anonymity, to meet only a reasonable business purpose. The purposes for collection may include:
Assessing student eligibility for enrolment
Offering educational services, programs and activities
Providing learning or behavioral assessments
Offering personal counseling
Ensuring student health and safety
Allowing participation in special events, including sporting events and travel
Enabling liaison with student families, including home-stays
Arranging for and processing of tuition payments
Arranging for contracting services
2. AlBaqir Academy collects personal information with the consent of the individual and in accordance with consent standards (see Section 5.0).
3. Personal information is deemed to have been collected with appropriate consent and notification if it was collected before January 1, 2004.
4. AlBaqir Academy collects personal information about individuals directly from the
student, parents or other authorized representative.
5. Personal information can be collected without the consent of the individual for the
certain purposes including, but not limited to:
it is clearly in the best interests of the individual and consent cannot be obtained in a time period required for the purpose.
to conduct an investigation of a breach of law or agreement or for a legal proceeding
to deal with an emergency that threatens the life, health or security of an individual;
to comply with a subpoena or warrant;
to collect a debt owed by the individual to AlBaqir Academy;
for archival or research purposes that cannot be achieved without using identifiable information;
if the collection is authorized by statute or regulation (e.g., School Act);
to support legal counsel in order to represent AlBaqir Academy;
to contact next of kin or friend of an individual who is deceased, ill, or injured;
to determine the individual's suitability to receive an honor, award or similar benefit,
including an honorary degree, scholarship or bursary;
3.2 Use and Disclosure of Personal Information
6. AlBaqir Academy uses and discloses personal information only for the purposes consistent with those identified at the time of collection or according to purposes listed in section 3.1. All uses and disclosures for other purposes require the consent of the individual in accordance with consent standards (see Section 5.0).
7. However, no consent is required for disclosure of personal information, regardless of the purposes for which it was collected, in certain circumstances, including but not
if it is in the interests of the individual and consent cannot be obtained in a timely way or individual would not be reasonably be expected to withhold consent.
to government agencies, or investigative bodies with the authority to administer or
enforce a law of Canada, or to investigate a threat to national defense, security, or
to comply with a statute or regulation;
8. AlBaqir Academy will ensure that the student or authorized representative is notified of any new purpose for which personal information will be used or disclosed.
3.3 Notification Requirements
AlBaqir Academy ensures that the individual properly notified of the purposes for collecting, using and disclosing their information before the information transaction takes place, unless it is for one of the purposes for which consent is not required.
AlBaqir Academy ensures individuals are notified of any surveillance devices in use on the premises for security purposes.
AlBaqir Academy notifies individuals through the use of appropriate forms, posters, verbal statements, brochures, or other forms of communication.
4.0 COLLECTION, USE AND DISCLOSURE
OF PERSONAL EMPLOYEE INFORMATION
4.1 Collection of Employee Information
The least amount of information is collected, with the highest degree of anonymity, to meet the business purpose.
1. Personal employee information collected must be limited to that required to support the work or relationship the employee has with AlBaqir Academy. The purposes for collection of personal employee information may include:
Enabling professional development
Ensuring employee health and safety
Managing School or College Finances
Processing of salary payments
Obtaining contract services
Human resources administration
Evaluation of staff/performance appraisals
Employee recruitment, classification and compensation
Occupational health and employee benefits administration
2. For specific information about the purposes for the collection, use or disclosure of personal employee information, please refer to Appendix 2 which identifies the purposes of collection in further detail.
3. Consent is not required when personal information is collected for the purposes of recruiting potential employees, managing an existing employee, or terminating an employee.
4. Personal information is deemed to have been collected with appropriate consent and notification if it was collected before January 1, 2004.
4.2 Use and Disclosure of Personal Employee Information
1. AlBaqir Academy uses and discloses personal employee information of existing or past employees only for the purposes of recruiting potential employees of for reasonable employee management purposes identified in 4.1.
2. For all other purposes, AlBaqir Academy will obtain the consent of the individual.
4.3 Notification Requirements
1. Whether or not consent is required, all potential, existing, and past employees will be notified of the purposes for which their personal employee information is collected, used, and disclosed before the information transaction takes place.
2. AlBaqir Academy notifies individuals through the use of appropriate forms, posters, verbal statements, brochures, or other forms of communication.
CONSENT STANDARDS FOR PERSONAL INFORMATION
1. An individual consents when they make a voluntary and informed agreement with AlBaqir Academy for collecting, using and disclosing their personal information for a specific purpose.
2. AlBaqir Academy will obtain the consent before collecting the information. If additional
consent is required for use and disclosure AlBaqir Academy will obtain consent before the use or disclosure occurs.
3. Only the individual or authorized representative can provide consent.
4. AlBaqir Academy cannot refuse a service to an individual if they refuse to give their consent for the collection of personal information beyond what is reasonably required to provide the service.
5. An individual may refuse to give their consent for personal information to be collected in relation to a specific purpose AlBaqir Academy has identified. In the event that an individual places reasonable conditions on their consent, the AlBaqir Academy must consider whether there is another way the purpose may be achieved without collecting the information.